Life of an Interior Designer: A look inside my bag.
It could just be me, but I am always intrigued to know what's inside other people's bags. Mainly because I may discover some amazing product that I had no idea about!
On the other hand, people are always intrigued to know why I am always lugging around such a large tote when I am out and about. Being an interior designer, you get used to carrying around a big tote and having a full car boot as your day can be so varied. An interior designer can spend their day meeting clients, visiting a site, meeting suppliers, or dealing with installations, so being prepared is key.
I have therefore rounded up my go-to items that are essential to my work day.
- Tape Measure - I always keep one in my bag and one in my car just in case. Always opt for a good quality sturdy one.
- Laser Distance Measure - For the times when I am alone on site and need to take measurements this is a lifesaver! I use the Leica Disto which is great for measuring distances up to 300m.
- High Visibility Jacket & Hard Hat - Safety first when visiting construction sites.
- Socks - If I am wearing shoes without socks and need to change into my work boots, or if I am visiting a property where I need to remove my shoes.
- Work Boots - Normally kept in the boot of my car for when I have to visit construction sites.
- Smartphone - Thank god for smartphones! It's a phone, notepad, camera, calculator, calendar, compass and spirit level all in one!
- Notepad - A must! As I am constantly having to make notes throughout the day.
- Pens - I keep an array of pens as I am always leaving them behind!
- Mints - Or sweets!
- Sunglasses - For the rare occasion when it's sunny in the U.K!
- Lipstick - Chanel Rouge Coco Shine No 69.
- Business Cards - As I am constantly meeting new people, having my business cards with me is a handy and professional way of passing on my contact details.
- Hand gel - Especially during this current pandemic, hand gel is a necessity.
- Perfume - A bottle of Clarins Eau Ressourçante is something I have carried for years. It's light and refreshing and a great spritz for throughout the day.
- Paint Chart - I usually carry a selection of charts but the one I carry without fail is my Farrow & Ball.
- Water Bottle - I carry this everywhere as sometimes I am out all day and can spend a lot of time in my car, so keeping hydrated is essential.
So next time you see me with my bag over my shoulder, you’ll know what’s inside!